This article may be helpful if you are on Mac OS X and are experiencing any of the following issues:
- Fonts are installed but some are missing in applications such as Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word, etc.
- Text is is either missing characters, or is replaced with incorrect or garbled text
- Other unexpected issues with fonts are appearing
These issues may be resolved by deleting your font cache.
In Mac OS X, font cache files can sometimes become corrupted. This may occur when a font or family of fonts is reinstalled repeatedly, or if an application has been updated or reinstalled. It may also occur without much warning. In addition to the operating system's font cache files, some applications have their own font cache.
Luckily, deleting these font cache files can resolve many odd font-related issues you may experience. Here's how:
- Delete the fonts that you have installed. Launch Font Book, select the font or family that you are having trouble with, and press the Delete button on your keyboard. (You may also right-click and select Remove Family.)
- Download a font cache utility such as Font Finagler, which you can find here. The application is shareware and is free to try, though please consider purchasing a license.
- Please save any active work in your applications, as you will be asked to restart your computer shortly. Once you have downloaded Font Finagler, open the .dmg file and launch the application.
- In Font Finagler, click Inspect Font Cache Files. Once complete, you'll be able to view the files that were identified. Select the "All font cache files" filter tab to view all.
- Click the Clean Font Cache Files button. Once this has completed, you will be prompted to Shut Down or Restart. If all of your work has been saved and applications safely closed, restart your computer.
- Install the fonts you downloaded once more, using our installation guides. Once your fonts are installed, try running the applications in which you had trouble once more. Hopefully your issues should be resolved.
If you still see problems with the fonts you purchased, let us know and we will resolve the problem as quickly as possible.